Amazon’s Alexa has revolutionised our homes and gives us more control than ever over our smart devices.
The AI machine can do all sorts of things, from dimming your lights, to activating your Roomba robot vacuum cleaner!
The LG SmartThinQ TV is another device compatible with Amazon’s Alexa and there are lots of different commands you can use to audibly control your TV.
Having all your home tech integrated with Alexa just makes for a much easier life in our eyes.
We’ve put together some commands you can use with Alexa to control your TV and help you with your day!
How to set up Alexa on your new LG SmartThinQ TV
Press and hold the “PRIME VIDEO” button on your LG Magic remote for two seconds.
This will take you to the LG content store where you can download and register on the Amazon Alexa App.
Select “Setup Alexa” on the app, and then using your mobile device or computer, visit the listed website and enter the code shown on your TV.
You should now be able to use voice commands and control your TV through Alexa.
Useful Alexa commands you might want to use
Before saying a command, hold down the “PRIME VIDEO” button for two seconds so that Alexa knows you want help with something.
Some basic commands you can use in everyday life are:
- “Alexa, help.”
- You can even have a conversation: “Alexa, let’s chat.”
- Mute or Unmute your TV: “Alexa, mute” or, “Alexa, unmute.”
- Stop or pause your TV: “Alexa, stop” or, “Alexa, pause.”
- Even changing the volume “Alexa, set the volume to 5,” “Alexa, louder” or “Alexa, turn up/down the volume.”
Alexa is also capable of some visual features.
- Alexa can show your calendar: “Alexa, show my calendar.”
- Show pictures: “Alexa, show my photos” or, “Alexa, show me pictures of cats.”
- View your cameras or other rooms: “Alexa, show the living room camera.”
- View movie trailers: “Alexa, show me the trailer for Jurassic World.'”
If you want more entertainment than just your smart TV then Alexa has you covered.
- Play music: “Alexa, play some music.
- Even play a song based on context: “Alexa, play the latest Taylor Swift album” or “Alexa, play that song that goes ‘But I got smarter, I got harder in the nick of time’.
- Play a radio station: “Alexa, play Capital on TuneIn.”
- Play an audiobook: “Alexa, play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on Audible.”
Unique commands to use when controlling your home through Alexa
Alexa is quite a special invention and can even welcome you home. If you’re using other devices such as smart lightbulbs and speakers then you can create a welcome home routine. When you say “Alexa, I’m home” you’ll be greeted with the lights turning on!
You can let Alexa play host for your party if you have a lot of guests staying who might have questions you can create custom responses for your Alexa. Head to the Amazon Blueprint Skills webpage and you can have her answer questions like “Alexa, where is the toilet paper?”
Bad memory for important things? Simply say “Alexa, remember…” followed by exactly what you need to remember and Alexa has your back, leaving you free to go about your day and still remembering to pick up your mum’s birthday present.
You can even make phone calls through Alexa, say “Alexa, call…” followed by whoever you intend to call and Alexa will do it for you if you don’t have a hand free to use your mobile.