From series linking your favourite programme to rewinding hilarious TV moments, Sky+ has everything a telly buff would need.
The Sky systems are always advancing and ensuring that subscribers have the best TV experiences they can. And after years of watching Sky TV, it’s pretty easy to use up all your storage space.
But, sometimes it’s nice to clear all the shows you’ve saved to the hard drive and start afresh. Or your Sky box could have packed up and you’re in need of a way to refresh the whole system. Thankfully, you’re in the right place.
Here’s how to reformat your Sky+ boxes’ hard drive and start again…
What will a planner rebuild do to my Sky+ box?
If you’re wanting to re-boot your Sky box but need to keep your stored settings and recordings then we’d advise completing a Planner Rebuild.
- First, press the Services button.
- Choose option 4 – System Setup.
- Now press the 0, 1 and Select buttons on your Sky remote control.
- This should take you to the Installer Setup menu.
- Now choose option 7 – Sky Planner Rebuild.
- Select Sky Planner Rebuild and wait until the system message ‘Housekeeping please wait’ has gone and the system has restarted.
How to reformat your Sky+ box
Below are the steps required to format your Sky box. However, we only advise carrying out a format if it’s your last option as everything – such as your recordings – will be lost.
- Firstly, click the Services button on your remote.
- Press 001 on your remote then select.
- This will take you to the setup window.
- Click across to system reset and select.
- Finally, a ‘For your information’ box will appear and display ‘Housekeeping please wait’ the box will now reset and reboot.
- This will now complete a planner rebuild and factory resets your box.
- The box will be wiped like new.
Can you format a Sky+ hard drive?
Yes. A Sky box hard drive can be completely wiped by carrying out a system or factory reset. However, if you still wish to keep your chosen settings, series links and recorded programmes then we’d advise always completing a Planner Rebuild first.
If you’re experiencing issues to do with playback on your Sky box then always compete the most basic checks first. For example check that all wiring is correctly linked up, ensure that the box and TV is powered on and that you’re receiving adequate satellite signal.
As a last resort you can format your box very easily but sometimes the issues can be resolved with other measures.